View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #1816
btao
Pwned

Oddometer: 930
Installed: Holan 45L Nomada Top Case and Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags

Alrighty! Here's how everything looks bolted up!

I was thoroughly impressed with how everything came out and did a few circles taking pictures and admiring the rugged beauty of it all...

I will admit, I thought everything was going to be bigger in person. Glad it wasn't. I think that top box is perfectly proportioned and fits well with the bike. I really digged the Pelican I had on there, and may still throw it on if I'm hitting the trails, but this thing is killah! And it locks! And it fits a helmet and gear!

Start with my fancy new mounting plate, Gen 2, which has wings! But.. sadly, our press brake didn't even dent the 1/4" 6061 :/ Anyone in Connecticut with access to a real press brake? I want to fold those over 45deg or so to loop a strap through one of the slots with the box on it. I also made the whole thing on a manual readout Bridgeport (including the angles!)

Add a couple of button heads and some rubber washers

And shazam!

I adjusted this one so that I could still remove the pillion seat if needed with the case on it. You know, just in case....

If you'll note, since I made my own heavy duty plate, I spaced the mounting holes to the corners to take advantage of it. The Holan top rack is thinner and they recommend using their reinforcement plate in the middle. I used the same spacing as on the Pelican so they swap in and out. The factory mounting holes are the front ones that go to the bike and the two rear ones that are behind the plate mounting holes and counterbored. I didn't see the point of having a big plate with sandwiched sealing washers and using holes that were fairly close to centerline.

Next, we slap on some Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddlebags!

And Bob's your Uncle!

All we need now are some travel stickers!
btao is offline   Reply With Quote