View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #45
SurfnnRide OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Day #23/24 - Old Faithful to Mammoth Hot Springs to Yellowstone Hotel (Yellowstone)

So we're doing one day in each place since it's only 45 miles between each hotel. Easy 3 days in yellowstone with short/slow rides between places. Gives us plenty of time to sight see and relax.

There is a waterfall on the way from the old faithful inn to mammoth springs called Fairy Falls so we decided to hit that up.

As usual we go early to avoid the crowds so we were the only ones hiking out to the falls that morning. No bear spray so just did the usual loud talking, hand clapping etc.. to let the locals know we were coming through.

Nothing to exciting on the hike. Got to the waterfall and it wasn't gushing by any means but it was kind of cool.

Here I am in Bear Killer mode with my beat stick and multitool knife to save mama when yogi bear comes for his PB&J sandwich.

Hung out there for 45 minutes or so and headed back. By the time we got halfway back the crowds were already on their way. If you go to yellowstone during this time of the year early and late hikes are the best times to see things.

Got back on the bike and rolled on. You have to be careful on the roads here not only because of the wildlife. It's the gawking tourists who stop in the middle of the road that will get you. They just slam on their brakes when they see anything without considering the people behind them. Cutting across the road right in front of you etc...

Anyhoo... This is when we saw our first buffalo but we didn't get pics because it was too far away. Got to see some big elk too but there was 200 tourists already surrounding the elk so we kept going and figured we'd see another one later.

Kept rolling on our way to Mammoth Springs...

To be continued...