View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #54
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,098
Mentally, I’ve declared a personal victory and I am ready to head for home. However, I do seem have missed the morning allusions to what will soon amount to a capstone exercise. But the weather is worsening by the minute, and the trek to come would prove fateful for me.

It’s now obvious that we’ll be riding the bikes out on the car X5 playground. While normally, this would be a butt ton of fun, the rocks have this glossy finish to them. The rock hills are entirely manmade and consist of flat stones cemented in place. They shimmer and glisten under the dull hue of grey light with a devious laugh.

I’ve only done a few of the obstacles on this course, but I’ve had an excellent, confidence inspiring morning ride. That will come quickly to a close. We leave the start gate under the direction of your fearless leader, Ross. Then you meanander down the trail...not knowing what/ or when is next. About 1 minute later, we approach the first obstacle is a cone weave, on mostly flat ground, although rocky.

Then we all start cueing at the base of the next obstacle. It’s a rather large hill climb with two marked coned gate tracks. The easier of the two goes mostly straight up the hill, while the harder of the two weaves left and right. Having no pride nor points to lose, time to attempt the hard line, don’t you think?

After the first gate, I have this sinking feeling. The rear tire, a Mitas E09, is not hooking up well at all. Sure enough, scrub some speed on the next gate, and then finally the angle of the hill is greater than the resulting momentum. No time like the present to see what is over the railing.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Dorito screwed with this post 09-28-2013 at 06:14 AM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote