View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #46
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 270
Anti-Gravity Micro Start PPS will charge an ASUS table with the right charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigravity View Post
Not really understanding the point of your post... I'm posting about a product that you can charge then take anywhere with you and you will have power to jump start you car,truck or motorcycle as well as charge OR power your Laptop, cell phones , blue tooth devices, Go Pros and most any other electronic PLUS has a built in flashlight and a built in SOS pattern...if your bike battery goes dead out in the boonies what is the Microsoft unit going to do for you? Yes you can buy other power banks that will charge your cell phone, but non of them are going to get your car or bike going again and give you lighting and and SOS pattern while your sitting waiting for help.... and our costs less.
Sorry this response is so late but we just returned from a ride to the Arctic Circle.

My post was in response to your post #6 where you state:

[Quote originally posted by Antigravity] I understand you are saying the Eeepad needs a 12v output ... but the fact is that they sell a USB charge cord (as you linked to on amazon) for the EeePAD would tend to disagree with your assessment...

Here is the reason... you cannot have 12v going out of a USB port. It is industry standardized at 5v for the specifications. There is no such thing as a 12v output USB port. Asus would not do anything contrary to industry standards nor would any electronics maker. So, IF the EeePad even has a USB cord that is made for it which is does... (http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Charger-Cable-EeePad-TF101/dp/B007GJR7GS)... I would then jump the conclusion that it can be charged by the USB standard of 5v. Furthermore it would be horrible if Asus made the only tablet that could not be charged by a USB cable which is also the standardized method of charging tablets and cell phones....

I think it can be charged by the 5 volt standard USB... if it was only able to be charged by a 12V it would have that proprietary tip going into a ROUND tip because that is a standard for 12v outputs too, though they have different sizes...I would suggest you buy that cable they sell on amazon and test this out... you would need that cable regardless for ease of charging on the road either way... I just has to be as I said because it just wouldn't make sense for Asus to get contrary to the entire industry. [quote]

This is not a good assumption which is leading your customers astray.

Here is a list of your statements and the actual fact:
  1. "There is no such thing as a 12v output USB port." FACT - No but it's worse - ASUS has a 15V output USB port.
  2. "Asus would not do anything contrary to industry standards..." FACT - they do something very contrary to the industry standards with this charger.
  3. "...nor would any electronics maker." FACT Are you kidding? Apple violates every standard they ever signed up for including the USB standards. They drive us USB power port manufacturers nuts with their non-standard stuff.
  4. "I would then jump the conclusion that it can be charged by the USB standard of 5v" FACT It can't, it needs at least 11V just to trigger the charging circuit and 15V to charge.
  5. "Furthermore it would be horrible if Asus made the only tablet that could not be charged by a USB cable which is also the standardized method of charging tablets..." FACT 5V USB is not a standard for charging tablets. iPad, Nook and Kindle do but ASUS, Windows Surface and I believe Samsung all require proprietary chargers that have higher output voltage.
Even though the ASUS tablet appears to use a USB charger it is really a 5V/15V unit! See my response in post #10 which explains a little bit more about it and why I ditched my ASUS Transformer Prime in favor of a Windows Surface tablet.

Now back to the point of my post - Don't let the weird ASUS USB charger deter you from purchasing the Anti-Gravity Micro Start PPS if you plan to use it to charge an ASUS tablet.

IMHO the PPS is one of the coolest products available and one of the most useful gadgets an adventure ride can carry.

My point was that it will charge an ASUS tablet if you can find the right charger. I did find just such a charger and wanted to let inmates know where to find it.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote