Date Built: 1904
Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival
Designer: J.W. Golucke
Meriwether County's first courthouse reportedly was a two-story brick building constructed in 1832. The courthouse was badly damaged by a tornado in 1893 -- but it was rebuilt and served until the current courthouse was completed in 1904. In 1976, a fire destroyed much of the building -- except for the brick exterior walls. In a restoration begun in 1977 and completed in 1980, the courthouse was rebuilt within the original walls. The interior, however, was significantly altered to provide more office space. The courthouse rotunda was eliminated, a basement dug, and the ceiling space reduced to allow three floors instead of two. A French bell weighing one-half ton was installed in the clock tower, and a statue of the female muse Justice placed on top of the tower.