View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #13
Tourist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Tajikistan.

Coming into Karakul.

Tildakhans Kyrgyz Home stay.

Central Asia is quite an amazing place really as the Political Boundary's of each state in no way truly represent the people who live there. The Kyrgyz inhabit eastern Tajikistan, from Alichur all the way to the Chinese border, well in fact they also live on the KKH from Tashkurgan all the way up to the Pak Border and also have camps in the Little Pamir in Afghanistan.

Tilderkhans comfortable Homestay is a friendly place that many overlanders use that puts on amazing food and a banya
(sauna) to warm up from riding the Pamirs.
Fortunately the weather cleared up overnight and was greeted with blue skies as far as I could see, After a hearty breakfast and bike loaded I continued towards to the Bartang, The unmarked turnoff is just 7km south of Karakul but there is a large OPEN laid out with rocks so I took it to be the correct turnoff. After a short distance the first of many river crossings, a good 15m with knee deep water that I waded through to find the right line. The Ural rolled through with me keeping the revs up and the shingle bottom didn't throw up any surprise rocks to throw me off course.
With the plateau above 4000m there really isn't too much fauna, some grasses and short bushes is about the extent of it always in proximity to the mountain streams and springs.

At The start of the Bartang Valley.

Leaving the Highway.

Rush Hour.

Lunch stop with some amazing Hospitality.

Heading Further Along the Plateau.

Landscape!

Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote