View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
I am in, I have been thinking along the same lines lately....
Welcome and wish you the best in reaching your goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the navigation, unless there is a serious sandstorm, you will have plenty of tracks to guide you to some extent. Its not as hard as it sounds, honest!

Re Al: I'll Pm you his details.

Cheers

Neil
Alright, i'll think more seriously about the Desert Challenge in that case, April 2014 is right around the corner. KTM Dubai also has support packages for riders (they don't seem to be running their own teams anymore) for reasonable money and i'll start looking into other options as well (for support during the rally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Hi Vicks, I am following this either way

I would go for the Nav prepared bike and then get things as I move along. May be alter things etc but it is already there. I would start with it a rally, see what I do not like (in the beginning you do not mind about the little details anyway), and then change what is not good for me.

The clean bike means that you have a clean start, you know every single bit of the bike and you know what or when will fail. With the used one ... well... For me, the 530 is a well behaved bike, meaning that will not die for breakfast and if it is ''few rallies'' it should be good to go. Even if you decide to sell the equipment and upgrade you will get a run for your money ...

Go with what you like the most, after all it is your pocket... But beware, the rally sickness is an evil one...
Thanks for the inputs D. As much as i would love to start with a fresh bike and build it up, i think it will end up being almost 2x expensive compared to buying a rally prepped bike. The huge depreciation on cars and bikes in UAE makes it more attractive to buy a used vehicle in pristine condition (i never bought a brand new car in the UAE).

Ship my bike OR rent a Rallybike ?

I've also been thinking of doing the Libya Rally Or the Tuareg Rally in March/April 2014. The main concern is cost of shipping my bike. So i was also considering a rental bike from one of the teams that provide such services and i simply fly in with my riding gear. Not sure how that works out over several events ? Will it be more expensive that shipping my own bike ? Any idea about how much these rental packages cost ?
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!

Vicks screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 07:36 PM
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote