View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #17
Tourist OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49

Descending into the Bartang.

Looking down the valley.

The July melt turning small streams into torrents.

8 hours from when I set out at karakul I am finally in the valley and still haven't seen any hint of civilization, not even one Shepard! The riding becomes challenging when i come to streams gushing down from the mountains I had just came through. At first glimpse they don't look like much being only 2-3m wide, but are knee deep and are flowing fast. With the road being washed away in most instances, I often rode down the alluvial fan as the stream then spread out and became shallower and less forceful but still crossing in a downward diagonal direction so I wouldn't feel the complete force of the water up against the bike. The freezing murky water hid many large rocks that I would come up against and have to get off and rock the bike backwards against the flow to be able to get the front wheel around. I continued down the valley another hour with wet feet and now with the sun setting I could really feel the temperature drop. Now I was looking for a suitable campsite.
I wasn't just looking for a clear space off the road, but one that wasn't sandy and one with a large enough boulder that I could lean the Ural up against for the night. I was pretty stuffed by the time I had found a spot with 2 out of the 3 that I was after.

After a long day riding its good to finally get camp sorted.

Tourist screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 08:14 PM
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote