View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #42
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,005
I wrestled with the sand for many miles and sometimes the sand won

As I was feeling so hacked off I'm sorry but I have to confess I did NOT take a picture which is unheard of for me.
I was mostly preoccupied with working out how to pick up Suzi, it's weird, but I can pick up Thelma fully-loaded without too much of an issue, but this bike which is maybe half the weight, a completely different story. However as I'm in the middle of some bleak and deserted coastline track in Madagascar and there's no-one to help, I had to knuckle down. There was no way I could do it using my usual method and then...
I remembered a YouTube clip someone once shared about picking up the bike with your back towards it. I racked my memory for all the details, turn the wheel down, grab the hand grip and something at the back, put my back into it and hey presto, Suzi was once more upright.
Relief flooded through me, YES I CAN pick up this pipsqueak bike!

I continued a bit more cautiously

Ahead of me, were these guys...

The pillion passenger ran for two miles through the softer section of sand before the rider let him back on for a half mile or so. Hmm, good idea I'm thinking, as my sister is about to join me, I hope she's feeling fit and strong!! By the way the rider is wearing flipflops!

The bike is beginning to look worn in, with dust and mud everywhere

I had a night camped out on the coast, falling asleep with the sound of the waves crashing on the beach.
and taking more pictures of priogues!

The scene in my tent (it's a small one!), not exactly the life of luxury as I eat my Happy Cow cheese spread and upload photos onto the netbook

A section of track that reminds me of Australia, parts of Brazil and also the red earth tracks on Prince Edward Island in Canada.

It was a joy to ride the red earth, but soon back to this stuff

And then the final stretch of sand for this section of the trip

Dinner was being cooked in the back yard - it's too hot to cook indoors, I like the way that the fish is too big for the pan but it's stuffed in anyway!

It's time to head to a place where life is a bit easier and relaxed.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote