View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
Vicks OP
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Vicks,

The KTM is a no-brainer! Your initial hard-on at buying the Berg will turn into a limp noodle when you start paying for all the kit to fit it out. That's money that you can spend on (insert something useful here...travel, training, etc). Besides, that new Berg will look decidedly old real quick once you start thrashing it around in the dunes. I don't recall getting this shipped to Saudi Arabia to be inexpensive, so I'd guess the UAE is similar.

Besides, unless you're vying for a FIM title, the extra power of the 530 should serve you well.....braaap! All of this advise is rubbish of course, if the KTM is a worn out clapper.

- Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
The ADDC is the easiest choice Vicks. Probably the cheapest, very high level of security for the riders (medical assistance etc etc).

Its in your back yard, you can train as much as you want, for most oversea's participants the soft sand is the most intimidating and yet you can practice every weekend as much as you want.

ADDC and navigating, not so difficult as you have the roadbook and the GPS and tracks to help you. People rarely get lost at the ADDC. Since there is a lot of Off piste riding the GPS will give waypoints and CAP headings.

Somewhere i wrote a thread about my first ADDC, back in 2006. it's doable and its a blast.
Good advise i think and i'll listen.

Found a Rally prepped 530Exc and considering that option as well. Now i just have to take care of the money aspects and buy up one of the bikes.

Looks like you are all heavily favoring the Desert Challenge and i'll keep that as the target for 2014 although it seems too close to me.. we'll see...

next update after 2 weeks as me n the mrs are off to our maiden EU trip backpacking our way