View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #29
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Talking Viva Mexico

Hidalgo Del Parral might just have done it for me. Here I was finally over a thousand kilometres from the US border and most things Americana. Although we could not help but to notice the Walmart and Sam’s club as we entered the “ciudad”. Sitting crouched at an old and squeaky desk, the warm blowing breeze was lazily lifting the blinds of our kitsch room at Hotel Acosta. I felt a great sense of peace, we were finally on our way. I know we have not found our groove yet, but the reality of life to come is slowly seeping in, an for a brief moment I felt elated by my surroundings. Our bikes were neatly tucked in the lobby of the hotel, under the watchful eyes of our host Alvaro.

Who say's you can't fit big bikes in the lobby?

Hidalgo Del Parral

From our 360 degrees terrace, I could see three churches from another era that beckoned a visit.

Not that I am religious by any stretch of the term, but I like to rest my eyes on history’s best witness. Architecture; religious or not has always afforded me that pleasure during my travels.

Hidalgo Del Parral, one of Mexico’s many mining towns. Here the minerals have been extracted and exploited by the Spaniards as early as 1562. The French and English banks also did their best to ensure a one-way trade system was established to complete the exploitation cycle. Some time after the end of the Mexican revolution, one of its most illustrious hero, General José Doroteo Arango Arámbula aka Francisco Villa, aka
Pancho Villa, was assassinated here for reasons that are still debated today.

According to Wikipedia the city has a population of approximately 101000, about the size of Fargo, ND and Green Bay, WI.

Earlier in the week, we left Glendora, CA a quaint extended suburb of LA and rode the painful line called Highway 10 East to Arizona. It runs from California to Florida, and the 760 km or so to Tucson was mainly desert dotted by big box stores. Good thing we had to exit for gas a couple of times or we would have forgotten how to negotiate curves.

We then darted south to Douglas AZ via Tombstone and we got to play Cowboys and Aliens.

Sometimes the Aliens win.

We entered Mexico at Agua Prieta, we were lucky and had the formalities completed in about and hour. Stamp this, copy that, pay here, stamp there, stick that here, that’s how it’s done competently and with a smile.

Note to self: teach US and Canadian border officials to be as friendly as their Mexican counterparts.

From Agua Prieta we darted to Nuevo Casas Grandes, and completed our two-day run of about 1250 km.

The next morning was the ride to Creel, where we had the intention to cross Copper Canyon south to Batopilas and East to Hidalgo Del Parral.

We received inconsistent reports re. the condition of the road, and opted out. It was not an easy decision, and Valentino was disappointed to turn back, but considering we are barely on the first few weeks of a six months journey, two up on the pig big, I know that the opportunity to ride challenging roads will come again.

Happy people, something about Mexico and motorcycles

Life is good, tomorrow we give Angela a break, visit Hidalgo Del Parral, and I post some more Pics.

Just a tease

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote