View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #49
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
So I rolled out of Roswell heading east on highway 380, it's a very windy treeless flat open ground kinda place. I kept wanting to open up a bit more and so was passing numerous cars and pickups in the 60+mph range all the while worried I'd see blue lights in my rear-view.

As I started to approach Plains NM, I started noticing well pumps dotted everywhere, then as I passed Plains the pumps increased exponentially and by the time I hit the Texas State line there was a strong pungent musky smell in the air........ I know this smell, vapors of crude oil wisping about...... Yea, I know this smell! it's the smell of money! Welcome to Texas.

Dear God thank you Texas! As I passed the state line I noticed the speed limit sign, 70 mph so I rolled it up to a comfortable 75 and kicked back rolling into Brownfield just before dark. Brownfield is a oil town, so no frills and no campground, didn't care ended up in a overpriced budget motel; it rained again that night..

Woke up and headed out early didn't take many pictures as there really wasn't too much in west Texas but flat ground and oil pumps chugging away.

Topography started changing around Post, TX there was scrub brush and some ups and downs and a few sweepers thrown in, so this made the ride more enjoyable, OH! Before I forget I was passed by a DPS trooper at 75 so I kinda figured 80 would be good

I passed this place and had to turn around and go check it out, on the map it was showin up as a town at the cross roads named Clairmont but all that was there is an old county jail,court house and gas station

Well, time to get moving again, I looked and saw this guy hitchhiking I remember feeling something hit my foot back in NM.

Would you believe the guy just hopped away when I dislodged him.

Rolled onto Abilene heading to the KOA but there was a Motel 6 next door and for 9 dollars more what the hell A/C and a bed.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote