Date Built: 1896
Architectural Style: Victorian functional with Neoclassical Revival additions
The 1850 act creating Clinch County named a five-member commission with responsibility for selecting the county seat and erecting a courthouse built (Ga. Laws 1849-50, p. 126). Until the courthouse was built, the act directed that elections and superior and inferior court sessions be held in the house of Jonathan Knight. The first courthouse, built in 1852, burned in 1856. A new courthouse built in 1859 burned in 1867. The present courthouse was completed in 1896. In 1936, the WPA financed a major rehabilitation of the courthouse as well as construction of an addition to the structure.