Date Built: 1920
Architectural Style: Neoclassical Revival
Designer: J.J. Baldwin
On Aug. 15, 1917, the General Assembly proposed a constitutional amendment to create Atkinson County from the southern half of Coffee County and a small portion along the northern border of Clinch County (Ga. Laws 1917, p. 41).
Georgia voters ratified the constitutional amendment in the Nov. 5, 1918 general election, which is considered the date of Atkinson County's creation (although a state historical marker on the county courthouse grounds incorrectly cites the 1917 act proposing the constitutional amendment as the date of the county's creation). Georgia's 153rd county was named for former governor William Y. Atkinson (who served 1894-1898).