View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #46
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!

---------------------------------------
DAY 4: Telluride to Lake City (COBDR)
---------------------------------------

The Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back Passes Day!

9/9/13
Thank you Backcountry Discovery Routes for your awesome services!
Thank you Butler Maps for your awesome maps!

Woke up at 6am and had a quick & simple breakfast: oatmeal (using the coffee maker to boil my water) and a cliff bar.
I must really love doing this because I am so not a morning person and neither is Jeremy.
Mike and Russ were eager to get going so they went ahead of us, we were dragging just a bit still working on improving our packing.
Plus we wanted to ride around town a little since we didn't get to see it much yesterday and fuel up.

While at the gas station, I looked for a keychain. I collect them and pin them on my wall map using a nail. I have very large US and a World Maps in my office.
Here's the US Map. Using a thread, I string the related keychains along to show that road trip. This is an easy DIY project that is cost and space effective when traveling.
I realize weight is a concern so I was selective and will try to buy online others I opted to buy later. Also, when we were in Steamboat,
I shipped what I bought along with other souvenirs purchased that weekend.
I still have to put my CO & UT keychains up from this trip.

I did find an OK keychain but I was more excited about finding an awesome sticker to surprise Jeremy with!
I think it is incredibly sexy for any grown man to be excited over a sticker! And he earned this sticker!

While we were doing the town tour and fueling up, Mike and Russ were making their way up Ophir Pass.
We were an hour behind them and hoping we'd be able to catch up sooner rather than later.
We would do Ophir again, but this time with our luggage - and fuel!

Here are Mike's pics and vids of their ride

Since they left town, Mike was having issues with his engine cutting out (elevation?) and somehow his mirror got loose. He was going pretty good up the rocky and narrow section...

And then his engine cut out here... but he managed to urge it along after a little rest...

Russ was making his way up, no prob...

High Five!

GIT'ER DONE!

Section 1 video from Mike's Go Pro!

As they neared the summit... Mike got stuck in a rocky hole right about here... with Russ' help he was able to ride out of it...

Section 2 video from Mike's Go Pro!

I. still. can't. believe. these. bikes. can. do. these. trails! Much respect!

Section 3 video from Mike's Go Pro!

I don't know how, but we managed to time it right and catch up to them right at the summit! Oh right...
- we didn't get lost this time (would've been a dum dum move if we had considering we already did this yesterday! )
- we had fuel
- even though we had luggage, we made it through no problem

Dinner time! BRB with a really great story to tell... I just hope I can tell it right...
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)

tuffenuff screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 01:33 PM
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote