View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #51
tuffenuff OP
a.k.a. "Tiny Dancer"

Oddometer: 133
Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT! Big Bikes Conquer The Elements Of The West!

--------------------------------------------------
DAY 4 Continued: Telluride to Lake City (COBDR)
--------------------------------------------------

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming!

The Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back-to-Back Passes Day!

We had just completed Ophir Pass and were on our way to Red Mountain Pass.
We were all in fantastic mood, thanks to Roma! And it looked like the weather was going to cooperate with us today.

The scenery was beautiful and picturesque in every direction you looked.

We would then see a landscape dotted with abandoned mining ghost towns... and strangely enough, given the histories, I felt serene...
I can only read about the living conditions during those times and the hardships they had to endure...

Red Mountain Project: "But there was a high price to pay for living in such a high elevation surrounded by steep mountains that carried deadly avalanches upon the unsuspecting traveler below.
The snow sometimes piled up so deeply that all work came to a halt as the ore couldn't be shipped and the storage bins were completely full.
Then armies of miners took to the roads and tracks to clear the snow, only to find that it was necessary to return to this work time and time again.
Nighttime temperatures dipped to twenty or thirty below zero but it could be shirt sleeve weather in January when the sun was shining. There were other hardships in the mines.
The ore went straight down so vertical shafts followed the rich metals for hundreds of feet into the bowels of the earth.
Water was a constant problem, but the same water when mixed with the local pyrites formed sulfuric acid which in turn ate at the pumps and also at mine rails, shovels and the mining machinery.
Nails dissolved in the rungs of ladders, planks fell from ceilings and hoist cables could turn to rust in a month's time."

The Yankee Girl Mine. Here's a bit more history on the Mining Industry at the time.

En route to Corkscrew Gulch, we all needed and took a little break to stretch, eat and relax.

There were plenty of jeep activities on the trails right from the start. And each vehicle, the drivers and passenger(s) were always friendly and helpful.
Who knows?! That might be Jeremy and me someday!

God, I sure hope somebody knows exactly where we're going next!
First Long ADV Ride, 09/07: Passed Out In CO & Washed Up In UT (COBDR & UTBDR)

tuffenuff screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 02:33 PM
tuffenuff is offline   Reply With Quote