View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #26
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Leaving Jaco

Decided Iíd had enough of paradise; with no fish to catch itís a flawed paradise anyway. Packed the bike and paid the bill and with more than a bit of trepidation set off to tackle the track uphill. Most of the track is perfectly fine actually itís just half a dozen mongrel hills with big loose rocks and deep washouts that make it so daunting.
Hereís a pic to give some idea but actually capturing the road condition or the severity of the incline in a picture is very difficult.
Jaco Track photo WP_20131007_003.jpg
Well of course I made it otherwise I wouldnít be here reporting. The little bike struggled on the steep hills and needed a bit of help from my legs to keep moving but it did an incredible job. I donít know if Iíve caused any damage to the auto-clutch though, Iím sure it got very hot. So off we go past the croc infested lake
Croc bait photo WP_20131007_004.jpg
until I come across a local couple in distress with a flat tyre and no tools. Stopped to lend a hand and discovered two important things. First my glue for patches is useless and second, my walking shoes are gone. Iíd put them on top of the panniers, fastened with one of my Andy Strapz elastic and Velcro fasteners, the strap was also missing.
Fellow biker photo WP_20131007_006.jpg
I guessed that I must have snagged the strap on my boot while my legs were flying about trying to get up the mongrel hills. What to do? I had to go back and look as I really need those shoes. I found the shoes but not the strap on the very first bit of mongrel hill Iíd come up earlier. I was bloody happy to have my shoes back but not too happy at having to tackle that track again.