View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #104
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
As far as the lane-splitting vs. passing on DY. I would choose lane-splitting.
I am sure every state has at least one city where lane-splitting would come in handy. I guess it depends on where you live. If I lived where there were a lot of twisties and not much overall traffic, well yes then pass on a DY law would be more handy, but I bet lane-splitting would benefit more people overall.

Like others have said here, California drivers are more tolerant, not just of lane-splitting but M/C's in general and more aware. That's been my experience anyway. The traffic in LA is worse than any place I have been if you are in a Car. I am not sure why anybody would want to commute in LA in a car, you think they would have 90% of the population on bikes. Yes they have more than other states, but still far more cars than bikes. I just don't get it.
With you 110%
It's why I finally got a bike and started riding.
And for the record Lots of full dress harleys and GS's splitting in Socal. Pretty much everything from LAX to Mexico is so wide it's really no issue to split even at high speed.

I will also say though that the traffic in LA is fairly predictable. Downtown Seattle, Portland other places have freeway traffic All day, every day. AND Socal also gets a win because you can actually get places using surface streets and most of the arterials actually have well timed lights and 50mph speed limits.

Orange County CA is the only place I've ever been in my life with a regular street with traffic signals and a 65 MPH speed limit.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote