View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Loud Al OP

Oddometer: 3,867
Day 2

I was awoken in the middle of the night by a bunch of noise, I looked out of my tent and I saw that several vans full of people had arrived. It was around midnight so they were running very late. I went back to sleep and didn't think much more about them.

I awoke to my alarm at 6 and immediately got to packing up. I had a long way to go and I was planning on taking the less traveled roads. I also was going right through the belly of the beast, I was going over the Golden Gate and right through San Francisco.

I got going just as the sun was coming up, I was on the road for just a few minutes when I came across this sight.

It didn't look that stuck and with 3 other vans I would have thought they could have gotten this out of the ditch easily, I'm going to guess they didn't have a lot of experience unsticking vehicles.

I had breakfast in Redway and read the local paper. It would seem that they are having major problems with young people just hanging around and "camping" in public parks. The locals didn't seem too happy with the way the local government was handling the situation.

After breakfast I went down 101 to the bit of road I was really looking forward to this morning. Hwy 1 between 101 and the coast is an amazing motorcycle road. I was lucky I only had to pass one truck on the road and I had it mostly to myself. I was way too busy riding and having fun to take pics.

After I got out to the coast the camera came out again.

Mendocino is a very cool little town, I wish I wasn't in such a hurry and I could wander a little more.

Interesting statue on top of the church

The moon was out.

Local color

Some more views down Hwy 1

After this the camera went away, I had a long way to go and the days are short. I went across the Golden Gate and didn't even slow down to take a pic.

This is what it looked like in 2012 when I was coming back from Baja

I lane split through traffic, my first plan was to ride down the coast all the way but with the amount of daylight I had left I would be riding for hours in the dark. I elected to stay in the valley and on the highway until Salinas and then take 68 into Monterey. I have driven and ridden that part of the coast several times so I wouldn't be missing anything.

I made it back on to Hwy 1 and south of Monterey after 5, I knew I would be arriving in the dark but I kept pushing hard because I have a really crapy headlight

Getting near sunset I had to stop and grab a few shots

I found the campground in the dark and I mean dark, I wandered all around the campground looking for motorcycles until the camp host came out and pointed me in the right direction. All my buddies were out eating dinner.

More later

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote