View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #41
IronJackWhitton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I've never heard a "left turn arrow" referred to as an "advanced green", that's why I thought you meant "delayed green".

Basically, a "delayed green" was something used before the "left turn arrows" and left turn lanes came into common practice. In a delayed green, one direction of traffic would get the green before the other direction, allowing the traffic getting the green first to turn left. There would be a "Delayed Green" sign posted on the arm holding the traffic light. The delay would be something like 5-seconds, allowing a couple cars to turn left before the opposing traffic started moving. Obviously, this was not something for real high traffic. I used to see this in my hometown on streets near downtown that had no left turn lane. But, it's been thirty years since I've seen one.
Interesting! I've never seen that before. Before my time perhaps, but I can see how that might work.

We sometimes have a flashing green to indicate it's an advanced green (rather than a green arrow), but they are less common now.

Thanks for clarifying!
IronJackWhitton is offline   Reply With Quote