View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #47
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
I have been pulled over by the police TWICE for doing this in the county I live in here in Florida. Both times were several years ago, I don't want to try for a 3rd time.

No tickets, but I thought one cop was going to have a fit - he was livid ! He was stressing the danger factor, as well as the fact that it is illegal to do it.

I admit, it will rub me the wrong way when a CAR does the same thing when I am the lead vehicle, and squeezes by on my right side - no cops seem to find anything wrong with THAT situation.
Keep in mind that LEOs are trained to perform administrate tasks and many don't study or try to better their understanding of the statutes in their spare time. Most perform their duties based on what they were taught years ago and what they feel is appropriate, rather than what the actual letter of the law dictates.

I'd politely ask for more information about where to find the statute that prohibits this. More likely, I'd go through the statutes myself to find a specific reference proving or disproving the officer's claim.

Often it comes down to someone's interpretation of a vaguely written statute.

On a daily basis I see instances of cars stopping behind a left turner when there is room to pass on the right. Here it is perfectly legal to pass a stopped car on the right. Yet, these sheeple queue up, waiting for the left turner. Infuriatingly, some will make as if they are going around, blocking the path for others, then sit and wait.

I particularly love those control freaks. "I don't feel comfortable doing what seems obvious and correct enough for me to have begun to do, and, I'm not going to let anyone else do it either." Nice.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote