View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #103
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
I knew Steve had ridden the trail before & incorrectly assumed he knew the way.... I decided to back track in the dark all alone to find Steve. Being able to reach Drew by phone made a potentially bad situation turn out fine. I may have to look into a Scala system.
You did the right thing Buddy. Had I not reached Drew on the phone, I probably would have hooked back up with you, in light of your backtracking. I was at that intersection for quite a while, but only because I had indeed gotten in touch with Drew rather quickly after arriving at that spot. Also, had I ridden about 200 yds south, I would have hit that big stock pond which I instantly recognized from our previous trip.

The bike to bike communication broke down quickly due to the rugged terrain. Once a mountain gets between you, it interferes. Of course, that can also work to our advantage in that when connection is lost we can adjust our pace to get reconnected, which we sometimes do.

All in all it worked out fine. I wasn't too worried because I had lots of fuel so knew if I headed generally south and east I'd pop out somewhere!