View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #335
GTinAus
nutsplitter

Oddometer: 1,246
Hi

pardon my interruption, but I have been trialling Rally Navigator, Premium version for a couple of weeks.

I am the Clerk of the Course for a fairly major Australian Rally/Raid event for Autos and Motos (Condo750, do a search in the Australian Forum)

I was interested in using the the Pro Version (commercial), for the scrolls for the next years event. I would like to make the tulips more professional, by a program such as this .

I have been talking to Mike, via email for the last few days, and explained my dilemma as to this program.

Perhaps if I list some of the problems here as well, there may be some useful solutions.

Firstly...The total distance needs to be editable, why, because, our event uses ground truthing, ie the event is set in a vehicle , with a terratrip, and hand drawn instructions (ie not from Google Earth, but this is a handy feature, for overall terrain checking).
To put in extra points, eg, rocks, holes gutters, at the present, a point needs to be inserted, at approx. the right spot, then dragged up or down the string line, till the correct distance is registered, them a tulip drawn. Tedious when there are hundreds of them.

A couple of my biggest bugbears are, 1, you need the internet, it is not a stand alone program, and you do not always need to have google earth attached, a layover of a moving map program as an either/or would be really good (Oziexplorer).... and I do not always have access to the internet.

2. Printing. The program, as it stands, appears to only allow 1 section. We have several sections per day, both Liaison and selective, and the day's instructions are completely printed on 2 (sometimes 3) scrolls.

The finish of one section, and the start of the next follow smoothly on the scroll (without the disclaimer statement). There are usually 2 (sometimes 3) scrolls per day, and they usually are 20 to 30 metres in length.

Below is an example of the end of a section, and start of new section, from last year,

The way the system stands, the sections would be have to be taped together, or dozens of scrolls printed and issued.

In reality, the scrolls cannot be changed after every section, as time does not permit.

Add to the fact, there can be up to 80 competitors, means 2 scrolls per day each (or more), times 2 days, 320 scrolls in total....in the current setup it appears one scroll to be printed at once. (our current scrolls are printed on a roll 6 wide, and cut into individual rolls after printing (individual section scrolls, there would be thousands of them....confusion would reign supreme).

Also, scrolls must be given to competitors, with the start of the day, or section, on the outside, which means the scroll must be printed from the last instruction to the first, to end up the right way, without a lot of rewinding. There appears to be no way of doing this either.

Don't get me wrong, the concept is fantastic, but to be a good COMMERCIAL route chart maker, it needs a lot of work, and input from professional directors, as to what is required versus what is viable.

I look forward to some constructive discussion on points raised.

GTinAus is offline   Reply With Quote