View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #702
xuare
Gravity wins again

Oddometer: 220
Made it home. I checked my oil and straps after I cleared Skyline (all were fine) only to find my starter / battery was getting weaker and only just barely started the bike. I had enough gas, so decided to push for home only to hit the hardest rain of the journey. And I can't stop to put on rain gear...

There also were a seemingly large number of people on VA-20 headed west, plus some trailer I was behind that was going 50 and spraying water everywhere.

Lessons learned:

-Frogg Toggs are a hell of a lot more waterproof than the inside rain lining of (at least my) jacket. To be fair the rain linig did work, but anything the outer, wet mesh touched became drenched, such as the belt line,

-Standard riding pants don't keep water out very well

-Camping hammocks work if you take the time to work how to arrange it so you don't sag into the center. You also must work out proper knots (taut-line hitches are very handy). Make sure you have about 15' webbing loop to go around big trees. Hennessy's included straps are too $%^$% short.

-Tarps are a good thing, but only if they are covering that which you want to not get rain on it. Nylon tarps give more acreage per pound

-Nothing dries when the humidity is 100%

-Tom knows Gore-Tex

-I love my external frame backpack for the ease with which the frame can be strapped to a bike and that other things can be strapped to it or the bike.

-Inmates are awesome! Thanks to everyone (esp. Blooch!)

Now I need to look up some of those big webbing straps and a pair of Sidi boots...

xuare screwed with this post 10-13-2013 at 12:07 PM
xuare is offline   Reply With Quote