View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #759
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 157
1. I was thinking I would save money over my fuel guzzling truck for commuting and running errands. It has done that very well. My adopted daughter's biological father was killed on a motorcycle so I waited until she graduated high school to get it. The difference is, he was an irresponsible 400 pound drunk who was bar hopping and racing his Harley while drunk on an unlit rural road, missed the turn and ran down a ditch hitting his helmetless head on a large boulder. My daughter was adamantly against me getting one. My wife was only a little more understanding, and my mother will never approve of it.

2. I bought a 2012 Suzuki DR650 Dual Sport. I was 36 when I bought it and am about to turn 38. It doubles as my psychological therapist. I get to spend a lot of time in the woods forgetting the things that stress me out.

3. I regret not doing this a long time ago. I wish I never listened to every one who ingrained in my head that bikes are too dangerous. Life is too dangerous. I am currently laid up for the next month or two with a broken ankle and torn tendons. That did not happen from riding. I stepped in a freaking hole wrong while running.

4. This is my first street bike and I expect it to be my only bike for a long time. I bought it about a year and a half ago and have about 14,000 miles on it. The caveat is that I owned a little Kawasaki mini bike and a Honda SL70 trail bike as a kid and early teenager. I have ridden friends' dirt bikes on occasion over the years, but the DR650 is my first real bike. I am sure one day I will add an adventure class bike for the longer trips like a Truimph Tiger or Yamaha Super Tenere. I can't imagine giving up the DR650 though.