Date Built: 1962
Architectural Style: Modern
Designer: Cunningham and Forehand
Other Information: The current courthouse is the fourth courthouse in Laurens County history. At the time of the county's creation in Dec. 1807, there was no county seat or courthouse. The act creating Laurens County provided that courts and public business initially be held at the house of Peter Thomas (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 3). Sumterville was designated county seat in 1809, but it is not clear what served as courthouse. The legislature moved the county seat to Sand Bar on the Oconee River in 1810, and then to Dublin in 1811. A temporary courthouse was built in 1811 in either Sand Bar or Dublin. At some point after Dublin became county seat, a two-story courthouse was built. The third Laurens County courthouse -- a large, two-story brick structure with imposing clock tower -- was built in 1895 [see postcard 1, postcard 2, and postcard 3]. This building served until a new one-story courthouse was constructed in 1962.
County Courthouse Historical Marker: Click here
County History: Laurens County was one of six new counties created by an act of the General Assembly approved Dec. 10, 1807 (Ga. Laws 1807, p. 3). According to that legislation, Laurens County's original boundaries were specified as:
. . . all that tract or parcel of land herein after pointed out, long and being in the county of Wilkinson, beginning at the mouth of Big Sandy Creek, on the Oconce river, running south sixty degrees west to the Ocmulgee river; thence down the meanders of the same to the upper corner of the fourteenth district on said river; thence north sixty degrees cast to the Oconee river; thence up the same to the beginning. . . .
Georgia's 34th county was named for Col. John Laurens of South Carolina. Laurens, who had been aide-de-camp to George Washington, was involved in numerous battles -- including the siege of Savannah -- and was killed in battle in 1782.
On Dec. 13, 1808, the legislature created Pulaski County from Laurens County (Ga. Laws 1808, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 52). On Dec. 11, 1858, portions of Laurens County were used to create Johnson County (Ga. Laws 1858, p. 32).
This postcard, printed and hand tinted in Germany, was published by the Dublin Courier Dispatch and bears a Dec. 10, 1909 postmark from Dublin. Because the address side of the postcard has an area for a personal message, which was only allowed after March 1907, the postcard was printed between 1907 and 1909 -- which would mean that the photo likely was taken before 1909.