View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #2869
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Straightening a Front GS spoke wheel.

Hi Woody,
I have a 2013 GSW with a front spoke wheel issue. When new it rode perfectly smooth and had no steering wobble. Over the couse of 8000 miles it began showing steering wobble between 45 and 60 MPH. I checked the spoke tension of the front wheel and found several dull sounding spokes after tapping all of them with the front wheel unloaded.

I snugged the loose spokes to a similar tone to the other spokes and the wobble became worse on test ride. I measured the wheel to have excessive lateral runout using my wheel balance stand and dial indicator. I loosened more spokes and retigned to 3nm atempting to cleanup thelateral runout. LOOKING BACK I WAS DECENDING INTO WHEEL HELL! Spinning the wheel it had a 2mm lateral wobble and 1.5mm radial runout.

This wheel has not seen any harse off road use and no big impacts on the road. There is no appearent damage to the rim except the lack of trueness. The rim may need straightening after tighening the spokes improperly.

What can I expect to pay for correcting this mess I have created? Time to step back and let the pros get the wheel back to the feel when the bike was new. Perhaps this wheel wasn't set up correctly at the factory, but with my messing with it I don't think warranty would be right.

I figure I can ship from CA to your shop. I plan to sent minus the speed sensor wheel, brake discs, and air pressure sensor to reduce the non- essential items for this work.

Thanks for your advise.