View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #59
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Fall colors

Took a couple of rides out towards Lake Superior to check out the fall color. The colors are starting to fade now but it seems that they last a little longer the closer you get to the lake.

On Monday I got done with work early so I decided to take a back trail out to Powers Road. Some nice color along the way:

This trail has a lot of mud holes in spring and early summer but they're usually dry by August or September. Not this year though; there's still a lot of water in the woods. Got the bike dirty:

The trail crosses Mud Creek on this snowmobile bridge:

Mud creek is swollen, almost like during spring melt:

There's another trail downstream of the bridge that fords the creek. I figured there would be too much water to try it and I'm glad I took the bridge. For comparison, here's a picture from a few years back of the Queen crossing in late summer or early fall:

This year the water's 3 feet deep or more.

A few pics to show that there's no good riding at this end of the U.P.

Sorry if they're blurry. Light was kinda dim in the trees.

Nice Lake Superior overlook on Powers Road.

There's a cache somewhere down there:

Bingo.

Took a picture with the camera.

Then on up to the top of Bald Mountain. View and colors from up there were stunning, my pictures don't do it justice.

Copper Peak ski jump on horizon:

Another cache up there:

There was more I wanted to ride to but it was getting late, so headed home. I don't like riding in the dark.
That Friday I was on the road a little before dawn, heading back out to the same area. My destination for the morning was what the locals call “Little Grand Canyon”.
I turned off the blacktop at Powers Road:

Rode more lousy local trails:

More mud:

And my goal:

That's the Montreal River about 200 feet below, and Wisconsin on the other side. This is the stretch of the river that the whitewater kayak guys run in the spring of the year, between Saxon Falls and Superior Falls.

The trail out followed a power line for a while:

That was my morning ride. Had a great time and I was home by 0930. Thanks for coming along.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote