Thread: Rally Diabolico
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #44
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
really like the bit I read on the website about how they will be programming some of the waypoints into everybody's gps each day.
There may be a FEW (possibly 3 or 4 on a long day) "waypoints" that your GPS could point you to, but those will only help you get back alive, they won't keep you on the course.

Most target points (VCPs) in the dunes sections will not have "waypoints" or "proximity" alerts as Garmin defines them. Your GPS will not be able to point you to each VCP you're looking for. You WILL have a form of visual indicator on your GPS, however you won't be able to use it until you've already gotten close to the point. This is sort of how it's done in Dakar, with their expensive GPS. I created a new way that allows you to use a much cheaper Garmin, most likely one you already have.

I can't explain my unique concept in detail right now , just be aware we want you to use the roadbook, compass heading, and odometer as the primary tools, and only use the GPS visual indicator the last few hundred meters.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote