View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #35
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
just google it and draw your own conclusions. it's out there. here's one.

http://brainconnection.positscience....for-teenagers/

you are arguing with science. despite how mature a teenager you thought you were, it's little help for the rest of us parents who can't tell the difference between who you thought you were and our own children.
I'm arguing that everyone is different and the parents need to judge their own child. Your argument that teenagers can't make rational decisions at all doesn't jive with reality nor the article you quoted. You are lumping everyone in together. The article used the near identical reference I did for Pete's sake regarding drunk driving.

"the researchers found that when processing emotions, adults have greater activity in their frontal lobes than do teenagers"

It doesn't say NO frontal lobe activity, just not as much. So how much frontal lobe activity does it take to ride a motorcycle? Can you gauge that? I'm sure everyone here can agree there are many teenagers that have more emotional control and rational thought than many adults out there. I'd argue it's part nature part nurture, nobody is created equal, that isn't hard to see.

" For example, when deciding whether to ride in a car driven by a drunk friend, an adult can usually put aside her desire to conform and is more likely to make the rational decision against drunk driving. However, a teenager’s immature frontal lobes may not be capable of such a coolly rational approach, and the emotional feelings of friendship may be likely to win the battle."

I chose not to drive drunk or be in the car with drunk drivers, what is your answer to that? That I was held back for 10 years and was really 25 in 10th grade? No, that something in my brain said that it wasn't a good idea. So how is it in my brain but not my classmates who drove drunk and died?

"The results from these studies do not mean that a teenager will always make irrational decisions. "

The article says my exact argument, what say you? Science is based on trial and error. My trial and error was actually being a teenager, turns out I'm pretty close to the mark and I didn't go to Stanford. And anybody in the science world knows it's in constant flux and something that comes out tomorrow may contradict this. The article is not concrete about anything, it "suggests" but never flat out says anything concrete. "May be closer to understanding". "Studies show correlation". You get the picture.

If teenagers couldn't make any rational decisions then it would be a bit early to go to college/war/drive/etc, but that isn't the case. Things are rarely black and white, I'd argue the brain is a shade of gray...matter...