View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #46
kumakahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Gaerne

I own Sidi Discos, Gaerne leather boots, BMW Contours, Alpinestars Scouts, etc. My favorite for daily riding to and from work, and for long distance road touring, is my pair of now discontinued, mid-length Gaernes. Second best are the Discos. They are amazingly comfortable, but a little too high for popping off to work, and I do not believe Goretex has any business in any form of footwear. It simply does not "breathe" in a boot. Good leather well treated works just fine without the plastic bag feeling. When they start using Event membranes in boots, I would be interested in that. Event breathes much, much better while still being waterproof. I also like boots I can resole because I have a short inseam but refuse to ride cruisers. So boring and cliche for a 53 year old guy like me. So, I have a cobbler add a midsole to my boots to give me just a little more leg length. It costs about $80. I also buy a size 47 instead of the 46 that is my real size, and I add insoles for a little more length. But, those options are a lot cheaper than a tip over, and I ride whenever it's not icy all year long. So, I need good ground grip in bad weather. No need to compromise on choice of bikes. It just takes a little creativity.
kumakahn is offline   Reply With Quote