View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #55
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,860
54, been riding since I was 8. Been around very loud bikes pretty much since I was born, as Dad owned a bike shop & raced. If I ever had a quiet bike, I would quickly cure that problem. At 10, I had a Sachs 80 Boondocker with a nice aftermarket expansion chamber.......and no silencer! Rode that until almost 14. Road-raced for years on BOOMING Ducati's. About 500,000 miles of street riding, all with bikes that had aftermarket exhaust systems. Dirt-riding for entire riding life. Always with, well, not very politically correct exhausts. 8 bikes now all with aftermarket pipes that won't win any awards for how quiet they are. Not HD straight-pipe loud, but not stock anything quiet. Hardly ever wear, or wore, any hearing protection at all. If I'm going to be on any of the street bikes for the whole day, or on a trip (wishful thinking), I MAY put in foam plugs. Otherwise, never. End result is, some loss I'm sure, and occasional "ringing" that may last for a whopping couple of minutes. I may be one of the rare & lucky ones that have gotten away with prolonged hearing abuse and not suffered any really bad consequences. At least nothing that has me running to the Dr.
I have to go, I hear my St. Bernards barking at something. (More loud noise )

CW
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote