View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #71
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 2,974
Day 5

Uphill in Whitmore Canyon was a wild ride at times in the loose rock sections, but other sections were stunning.

I pass by the Bar-10 airstrip again. There was a small shuttle bus with 4-5 tourists and a pilot taking pictures with the plane.
They were probably the same tourists on the ATV tour I had passed. I blasted past at 45 mph and didn't even bother stopping at the ranch.

I made good time back to the schoolhouse junction and...

made the right turn heading up the mountain.

The road over the mountain had a lot of dried ruts and this cattle guard was undercut by the flooding. There was a go around though.
I was having fun powering out of the corners when the rear tire started feeling squishy...

Uh oh!

So after rumbling over millions of sharp lava rocks today, the tire is punctured by a blunt machine screw?

I get to practice my first ever trail-side tube replacement. Its the very first flat on this bike.
I usually mount my own tires so that I'll be practiced in how to do it when this day comes.
I always wondered if I would be able to break the bead, but the new Motion Pro BeadPRO tools work awesome.

So I took my time and chatted a few minutes with the only driver that passed, a local rancher.

My little compressor was SLOW! There wasn't much to do at this point...

...but wander around with the camera hoping the little compressor didn't catch fire.

The bead finally popped into place at 55 psi.
I hate to admit this, but I was finally packed up and ready to go after 1 hour and 45 minutes.
I was being careful to not do anything stupid, but still... I probably should pick up the pace next time.
A faster pump would help.

I finished up the ruts...

...and left the forest behind...

...for the next valley and intersection.

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 07:47 PM
dave6253 is online now   Reply With Quote