View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
The local dealer did have a CB500X. We sat on it. It was, ok. Nothing too spectacular. Simple (standard) controls, nothing in the way of wind protection for the grips. Add handguards, HippoHands, etc. Controls can be swapped. Seat was nice and wide, but this made it a little tougher for Shesaid to feel comfortable with her feet on the ground, despite the 32" seat height. Shave/shape the seat or look for an aftermarket option. Wheels are a bit smaller than I'd like, and the stock tires aren't going to be much for adventure. People swap the stock wheels and tires on even their dirt-oriented dualsports. A Thai racing outfit has already swapped 21/18 knobs onto a CB500X. The front fender placement is also pretty snug to the tire, so tire options might be a bit limited until some modifications are made. Not to mention sticks, pinecones, rocks, and even acorns that are going to get up in there. The Thai outift also used a high fender. They've also added a skid to the bike.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice/bike, I'd really like to try out the 500cc twin, but depending on your idea of adventure, it might need some tweaking.

MV
Great bikes are rarely bought. They're usually built. Find a good base to build on. Even the DR650SE isn't sold with a skid, a tailrack, or a seat that is loved by many.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-19-2013 at 06:56 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote