View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #48
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by khale View Post
I'm almost positive this will not be a popular thread.

Why do so many folks feel the need to 'farkle' their bikes. As long as it's legal and ethical, what a person chooses to do in the privacy of their own home/garage...uh...nevermind. I'm just browsing Touratech's site (There's your problem.) and I'm looking at these prices just scratching my head. People are paying exorbitant amounts of money to dress up their bikes and these aftermarket companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

Everyone knows having farkles doesn't help re-sale value (maybe it will help make a sale). Pull them off and part them out. Sell the bike as stock.

Personally, I'd rather save the money and invest it in a trip, or put it towards more long term goals such as retirement. I also use the money to use on camping/hiking gear that will have a real usable value, rather than an aesthetic quality. Everybody has their own priorities. Some of us already have way too much money to travel and retire on, but no worthy heirs to leave it to.

Before people chime in defending farkles, I do know a lot of them serve a utilitarian purpose, such as wider foot pegs, PIAA lights for more visibility on the road for oncoming traffic, etc. People that are firm believers in farkling, do you try to buy farkles used first, to offset the jaw dropping sticker retail price?

Yes. I got a used DR650SE for less than what some people make as a single mortgage payment. I only have maybe 3 more farkle projects I want...50+WHP, fully-adjustable suspension, and fender-mounted dancing hula-girl with amber LED headlights.

So my question is, why do you farkle?
Because it is there.

Great bikes are built, not bought. No mfr makes a bike exactly how I want it, and even if they did, I may not like it that way for every ride. Bike mfrs don't often offer many options, like car mfrs do. I've never understood why, as it's a chance for more sales/profit.

I can run down the interstate in relative comfort and well-lit safety, 5 states over, fully loaded with a windscreen, luggage, and touring pegs. When I park the bike at my hotel/campsite, I can strip all that off and ride it like a dirtbike on the local trails. Try an extended adv trip on most bikes without farkling them in some way.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.

Kommando screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 12:00 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote