Date Built: 1894
Architectural Style: Queen Anne, with Neoclassical Revival
Designer: Bruce & Morgan (1894), J. Bruyn Kops (1914)
Other Information: After its creation in 1796, Bulloch County functioned without a courthouse while local officials debated where the county seat should be located. During this time, superior court sessions were held in private homes and other places. Following Statesboro's designation as county seat in 1803, a wooden courthouse was built. In 1807, the first courthouse was replaced by a larger wooden building, which served until burned during Sherman's March to the Sea in 1864. In 1866, the legislature authorized county officials to levy a tax for rebuilding the courthouse. Proceeds of this tax were used to build a two-story wooden building, which served until the present courthouse was built in 1894 (see photo). As part of a renovation in 1914, pedimented porticos supported by columns were added to the entrances to the courthouse.