View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #16
glitch_oz OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Looking into the drooping grey skies, we skip a couple of optional side-trips like the Rosenlaui and Schwarzental valleys which are "no use without the views", BUMMER!!

Particularly the Rosenlaui I'd been looking forward to.

Flippin a coin in Innertkirchen, it's the Susten Pass over the Grimsel. Both will be wet and crappy, the Susten will make us go the long way, needing to add the Furka Pass to get to our intended stay somewhere in the Upper Valais/ Wallis/ Upper Rhone Valley….whatever you want to call it.

In hindsight, we should've taken the shorter route and gotten things over and done with…but…the longer route had its perks, too.

Goodie tip-toe-ing it up the Susten…

Should've stayed here…

...or at least in the tunnel for a while. Christ!!...is it bucketing down, or what?

The short stretch towards Andermatt turns off the taps a little... drizzle only.

Then it's up the Furka…and things are turning cold…REAL COLD….it's snowing huge, wet flakes.
4 of them are enough to shut out the dreary grey day….and clog up the visor solidly. How much more height to climb? Any further up and we'll pull the pin, this is getting seriously nasty and dangerous.

The first slush is building and there's been something blinking on the dash for the last 10 min.
I know it's cold! The snot's freezing under the chin-bar and I'm shakin' like a leaf.

Hey, Schweetie…howyadoin'?

Out of the snow-zone again…

Not much happening here today.

Things warm up a bit the further we drop towards Gletsch.

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote