View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,326
Yeah, and.... Labor rates vary with location. Last I checked, import dealers in the San Francisco Bay area were well over $100/hour, one was $125. I'm sure a lot of that is eaten up with fixed-op expenses, and I'm also sure their techs make good money. And spend a lot of it on living expenses, steep mortgages, shitty commutes, parking fees in the metro area, stuff like that.
Several years later, and in a town of around 60,000 people in the middle of Washington state, we charge $92/hr and are about average for this area. Fixed ops expenses are lower, especially property/sales taxes and electricity. As noted above, it's about the cheapest in the country. You can buy a nice house in a good neighborhood and school district for at or under $200,000
SO: If you want to compare apples and oranges, fine by me. What we have to offer is not wealth beyond measure. What we DO have is a beautiful area to live, very short commutes (10-15 minutes is about average), solid schools, over 300 days of sunshine a year, all the outdoor recreation you can handle, a low crime rate, and so on. Moving here isn't a grab for the gold ring. If that's what you're after, stay where you are.

Also, please, if you're posting to crap on this thread, how 'bout not? I'm serious about this, we really need the techs and are not finding any through normal channels. Thought I'd offer you FF'rs the option. If you don't want it, that's fine. If you're even a little interested, PM me.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote