View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #54
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Moni Moni Moni

Headed out of Maumere and on to Moni to visit Kalimutu and it's 3 lakes. A very scenic road through the mountains and again with pretty good roads most of the way. There's a major project underway here to upgrade the main road through Flores. The land here can be pretty unstable in the mountains with land slips in the rainy season.

Saw this sign on the roadside.

photo R_KOKASIGN.jpg

So decided on a little detour to check it out.

Koka Beach photo R_KOKABEACH.jpg

Bought a nice cool coconut for a refreshing drink. About 50 cents.

Coconut Drink photo R_COCONUTDRINK.jpg

Coconut prep from Robin Thomas on Vimeo.

Moni is a little strip of a tourist town with plenty of choice for rooms and food.

First stop on arriving was coffee and a snack at the "Rainbow Cafe"

Rainbow cafe photo R_MONIBAKERY.jpg

Decided on this guesthouse, a bit pricey but it has hot water and a secure area for PB

Hotel in Moni photo R_MONIHOTEL.jpg

Unpacked, changed into walking clothes and took a walk to the waterfall to watch backpackers risking their holiday for walk over the rickety bridge.

Bamboo walkway photo R_HARDWAY.jpg

Not so Steady Eddy from Robin Thomas on Vimeo.

I watched the locals and followed their example.

Sure footed photo R_SUREFOOTEDINMONI.jpg

Worth mentioning here is the dinner I had. I was approached by the restaurant owner to come to eat at his establishment, the "Bamboo Cafe". He had a guestbook in his pocket with notes from previous patrons and it all looked very positive so I took a punt, put down a deposit and booked a place at the table.
The food was fantastic, it's a set menu consisting of mountain rice cooked with aromatic leaves, a vegetable soup of freshly picked from the garden vegetables and forest herbs and spices. A plate of cooked banana flower and other local fruits and the main dish of chicken cooked with limes in bamboo.
At about $8.50 it has the be one of the bargains in the world for food lovers.

Then off to bed for an early start in the morning for the climb to Kalimutu.

RDT953 screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 05:02 AM Reason: Add video
RDT953 is offline   Reply With Quote