View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
dirt_bloke OP
No idea

Oddometer: 787
Ok looks like I've got the paste thing sorted, sort of!

Day 2 New Tyres. St George to Hungerford

Looking west along the banks of the Balonne River.

I had to be at the bike shop early to get the tyres changed, I removed the wheels and Phil got the tyre changed quickly (cursing Rob Turtin’s 4mm heavy duty tubes)! I donated my rear tyre to the ‘whoever needs a tyre’ rack, and kept the front to be changed on the return trip. Didn’t think to get any pictures here. Dropped into a family clothing store to get new pair of thongs, as we’re going to the beach.

We traced Tank’s fault to a pre-filter he had put on the DR, tried a few different combinations but ended up removing it completely. He would just have to check his air filter daily, no big deal.

We met a guy at the pub who reckoned he had some bikes in his shed, as the day would be cool and the ride would be easy, we took him up on the offer to have a look. No photos by request, but let’s just say it was worth the time, country towns unearth cool stuff.

We had 370km of slab before we hit the dirt, travelling west the vegetation started to thin out, soil changed colour a few times and the amount of road kill increased. We had lunch at Cunnamulla in a rather flash café, that I’m sure had to catch, kill and prepare the food for each individual customer. Tank went to the bakery and got his food straight away.

Eventually we got to the Hungerford Road, start of the dirt, start of the adventure.

Dirt “Are you going to take the bikes off the trailer and ride?”
Yogi “Nah, the riding gear is packed away, it take too long and it will dark by the time we reach Hungerford”
Dirt “Bullshit! take some concrete and harden the fuck up”
Yogi “NO! You harden the fuck up”
Dirt “Fuck you”
Yogi “No, fuck you”
And so it goes on!

Anyway, we cruise the 115km of dirt dodging the odd emu (also seeing the remains of emus that didn't get dodged) and negotiation some rather ordinary flood ways to find the ‘Royal Mail Hotel’ at Hungerford.

If you are from the city and like flash stuff, this place would be run down, hot, dusty, with crap rooms and generally falling into disrepair. For us, this place was tops. Heaps of history, character, welcoming and relaxed.

The new tyres felt surprising good on the road, I was running 25psi in both @ 90-100kmh. Once on the dirt everything was fine, but in a few sandy sections the bike seemed a bit too loose. We’ll see how it goes the next day without luggage. Fuelled at Cunnamulla 289km 12.8 Litres then 185km to Hungerford, once again the Tiger was purring.
(yet)

dirt_bloke screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 02:10 AM
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote