View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #55
V@lentino OP
Inspektor

Oddometer: 817
There is very little time left for cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by pceire32 View Post
If you are interested in the politics, the state of Chiapas have some of the most oppressed indians in Mexico. All the land is owned by absent landowners. In 1994 the Zapatista's took over the town of San Cristobal De Las Casas lead by
rebel leader called Subcomandante Marcos who wore a ski mask all the time and smoked a pipe they supported by the Bishop of the area Samuel Ruiz Garcia who fought for the poor all his life, they battled the Mexican army and hid out in the jungles on the border, hidden by the Lacondon Indians for years. They claimed NAFTA was doing a lot for the North but in the South the indians didn't even have a plot of land to grow beans and had been ignored by the government.They wanted indigenous autonomy. The Bishop died in 2011 but he was nonimated for a Nobel prize. Try and get to San Cristobal De Las Casas it is a beautiful unusual little town with a great history. You can often see Lacondon Indians in town wearing a long white shifts. Later Subcomandante Marcos was unmasked as a University professor from Tampico called Rafael Guilen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElReyDelSofa View Post
Valentino, I am very glad to read your writing and your thoughts on development/exploitation. Has long been a thought for me of the inequality resulting from exploitation of resources, human included. I appreciate the link to Galeano's book, has been on my reading list for a while. Is it possible for development to occur without impoverishing the country/population 'owning' the resources? Under capitalism, I don't think so. Capitalism seeks to concentrate wealth in as few hands as possible. And S. America has a long history of enriching the few at the cost to the many. That will be a hard ship to turn around, as any country with the political will to go against the system has been severely punished, Galeano's native Uruguay, Chile, Panama, and Ecuador come to mind.

Intently following along on your trip, enjoying your thoughts, photos, and wish I was there to have a conversation in person.
Thanks for chiming in Gents, I appreciate the company and the words, in my daily life I believe I do the right thing, and I often try not to be cynical, but as many others who try, I mostly fail.

“The Nobodies

Fleas dream of buying themselves a dog, and nobodies dream of escaping
poverty: that one magical day good luck will suddenly rain down on
them---will rain down in buckets. But good luck doesn't rain down
yesterday, today, tomorrow, or ever. Good luck doesn't even fall in a
fine drizzle, no matter how hard the nobodies summon it, even if their
left hand is tickling, or if they begin the new day with their right
foot, or start the new year with a change of brooms.

The nobodies: nobody's children, owners of nothing. The nobodies: the
no ones, the nobodied, running like rabbits, dying through life,
screwed every which way.

Who are not, but could be.
Who don't speak languages, but dialects.
Who don't have religions, but superstitions.
Who don't create art, but handicrafts.
Who don't have culture, but folklore.
Who are not human beings, but human resources.
Who do not have faces, but arms.
Who do not have names, but numbers.
Who do not appear in the history of the world, but in the police
blotter of the local paper.
The nobodies, who are not worth the bullet that kills them.”

Eduardo Galeano

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote