View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 AM   #870
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I'd rather see the small company that has given a lot to the sport triumph over the big one that just seems to want to throw a lot of money at it for a quick result, and then probably turn its back on us again while it concentrates on it road bikes and boring commuters.

But that's just me...
Aw, I'm not sure that's entirely fair?

Ultimately the only reason any manufacturer is in this (or any other) motorsport is to sell more machines to the public, and you could hardly call KTM 'small' these days...

I'd also argue that over the years, Honda have invested a huge amount in all forms of motorsport - on two and four wheels: motocross, rally-raid, WSB and Moto GP, Touring Cars and F1 - that ultimately has had a trickle-down effect of that technology available in the production vehicles we can buy today, and not least they have been instrumental in raising the profiles of those sports considerably?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the underdog too - although it is somewhat ironic that the largest motorcycle company in the world is actually considered the underdog when it comes to Dakar these days... such is the strangle-hold that KTM have on the sport!

Of course the sweetest thing of all would be to see Despres win Dakar with what is essentially a 'privateer' team effort, trouncing both the big boys, and winning that 6th title fair and square!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote