View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
kristofer
Motonaut.se

Oddometer: 69
So many good points! Just want to chime in and share my thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
To the people who think a 250cc bike is too small for long trips, even RTW: 1) You want to tour or pack way too much crap 2) you obviously haven't tried it 3) you don't know what you're talking about.
True. I used a 350cc bike (Suzuki DR350S) to ride the around Rocky Mountains (CO-Canada-Mexico-CO, 45 days, +10 000 km), stock with no jet changes for altitudes. It was a bit tired at the top of Pikes Peak, but then I am 6 ft 220 lbs (no riding gear).

I developed my own "weight-less" universal luggage system to take the amount of stuff I thought I needed. I still could take way more than I needed on that little bike.

Then of course you can go bigger if you want to , but realize that it is a compromise. I use a DR650 ATM, but would love to try out the WR250R...

Quote:
One old jerk told me I needed $1,000/week or a minimum of $100/day.

While on the road, I spend about $30 a day on average. EVEN IN EUROPE.
Spot on with my daily budget in the USA.

Quote:
My bike was $2,000 AUD
Mine was $1,000 USD ;)
It's great to have a bike that you wouldn't have to think twice about sacrificing for your own safety (crashing, hold-up, etc.)

Quote:
To everyone: let's learn to take care of our own bikes, shall we?
I think you should able to fix the bike you ride if you want to go remote and/or solo! It's a safety concern and it saves you a lot of money,

Quote:
I've now gone 4,000km and am not nearly done!
Well done and I wish you all the best for the rest of the trip!

Safe travels,
Kristofer

Motonaut vendor's thread
kristofer is offline   Reply With Quote