Thread: adv noob
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayj93pgt View Post
awesome, thanks everyone for the suggestions. the only reason im a bit nervous is cause ive never ridden anything on dirt/gravel so i guess i have a fear that im going to just eat gravel the first time i take a turn. I ended up just getting a short bike to learn on for really cheap, I do like the dr650 and the bmw g650gs as the weight is lower. I am skilled enough to ride a bike when i can barely tip toe, i will probably move up to a dr650se or g650gs or possibly a tiger 800 next summer. for now i bought a little xt225 and im going to learn on it and probably give it to my girlfriend or something when i move up to something different.

appreciate all of the info too. it makes sense that any bike can basically do any type of riding. Ive learned over the years that comfort is huge moreso than looking cool on a supersport bike that is far from comfortable or practical...although i may get another one anyway lol. one can never have too many bikes!!
You dont have to justify anything here- you couldnt have made a better choice IMO, and I own the much-recommended DR650. It is my first dirty-bike and I have a great time in dirt with it, but ive considered getting an XT225/250 for honing my dirt skills as the DR is a big 'un.

When you want a dirty bike for multi state trips, the DR has to be one of the top options, but there are others too.. I took mine to Alaska and it was perfect.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote