View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Oddometer: 191
Day 3 Elko to Jarbidge

The road from Elko to Jarbidge is a fun adventure in itself. 104 miles total, 60+ miles of easy dirt with lotsa washboard this time of year. Trailering the bike, the washboard shook the straps off so I just unloaded the bike and rode while Jeni drove.

Had a nice conversation with a 3rd generation Basque rancher F. Goicoechea at his place about the road. The county (Elko) grades the road once a year in the summer. By Oct. the hunting traffic has it all washboarded out, ruins his trucks driving on it. It's illegal for him to grade it himself.

I asked, "With the price of gas, the vast distances involved here, and the road condition...how can ranching be profitable?"
"It's not!" was his short reply.

The Basque come from North end of Spain in the Pyrenees mountains near France's border and are tough mountain people. They also have their own unique language unlike Spanish or French. Jeni explains all this to me as we travel as she grew up in Spain herself, and can easily pronounce the names of all the Basque named ranches we pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auldublinr View Post
Thanks for posting.only recently I figured out all this great adventure up that way!!!! Just bought Nevada gazetteer so now I got the gimp on me to get up there. Next spring sounds good right?
Keep up the good work and nice bike .
Yea, June's a great month to visit Nevada, but for this one particular route to Jarbidge, you need to wait till after July 4th. 20' snow drifts near the passes generally block this route until plowed around the 4th. Call the Outdoor Inn at Jarbidge for an update at (775) 488-2311.
For year around access, you can always get to Jarbidge from the North via Rodgerson Idaho, Murphy Hot Springs route (only 20 miles of dirt).

ADOBE RANCH

Take 225 North (paved) over Adobe summit towards Wild Horse reservoir for 55 miles to 746 (rt-dirt) then 19 miles to Charleston Res.

DINNER STATION (225)

RANCHO GRANDE Independence Mtns behind.

P. ELIA RANCH

From Charleston Res proceed 30 miles North on 748 (easy dirt) to Jarbidge and enjoy the sights!

B. PRUNTY RANCH

"BLOW UP YER T.V.
THROW AWAY YER PAPER
MOVE TO THE COUNTRY
BUILD YOU A HOME..." J. PRINE- SPANISH PIPEDREAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwq0YoOy4g

And that's just what we did with the kids on this vacation, no electronics at all. Just talk, sing, or read to while away the hours-fantastic!

"ALL MY PROFITS WENT BACK INTO RANCH IMPROVEMENTS..."

LOG JOINERY

Pretty soon, as you head up the grade the Fall Color Show begins with earnest...

Until it just takes your breath away!

COPPER BASIN, NEAR COON CREEK SUMMIT 8442'

NEAR BEAR CREEK SUMMIT-8488'

Then drop 2000' down into the Jarbidge Canyon the last 6 miles into Jarbidge.

...And tell Nancy (Nana) all about your adventure at the Outdoor Inn!

visualizerent screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 06:05 PM
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote