View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #43
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 843
something that I think everyone forgets about when considering other users feedback on tire changing is 1) what tire are they changing? 2) how often do they change tires? 3) what lube was used last time they changed tires? 4) what kind of tube are they using? 5) what condition are the rims/tire/tube/rim strip in?

I change tires often on my 950 because I wear them out quickly and change for conditions. I've had mine for about a year now and have put about 2k miles on it and have changed the rear maybe 5 or 6 times. I can swap tires in about 10 minutes once the wheel is off the bike. But if you have a tire with a super stiff sidewall, big bead, it's been on there for 4k miles of saltwater, road grime, no lube was used to install the tire, super grimy/dirty rim, it's 35 degrees outside, and it's raining on the side of the trail where you got your flat, it's going to take quite a while to change the tire.

not to rain on anyones parade, and IMHO Motion Pro makes the best tools on the market bar none, but there are a lot of variables to changing tires on these beasts. if you look at professional tire changers (like at AMA MX and SX races) I'd bet that all of the changers are using Motion Pro tools. And it's not because they get them for free, it's because they are the best at what they do. IMHO. :)

that being said, I might have to order a set and try them. I have the standard MP spoons for home use, and the aluminum ones for trail use, but having a bead breaker would be nice to have on other peoples tires. mine are easy to break. :)
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote