View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #58
RDT953 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
On to Bajawa

For no other reason than a really cool name I picked Bajawa as the destination for the day. Another good day of riding on some very scenic roads. Lots of roadwork going on along this stretch. Especially up in the mountains where there have been recent land slips.

Land slip photo R_LANDSLIP.jpg

I stopped at a small restaurant for a coffee and met some of the road-workers, one bloke who turned out to be an engineer spoke very good english and told me that it was a major project being funded by $$$ from Australia. I joked that in that case he should pay for my coffee, he was quick to say that the money would be paid back.

The coast along these parts is all black volcanic sands.

Black coastline photo R_COAST-1.jpg

And like everywhere else they are polluted with litter.

Litter photo R_LITTER.jpg

I found my way to Ende and then after a few wrong turns and plenty of directions found my way out again and continued west.
I didn't spend any money in Ende but didn't think this gesture on leaving towns was warranted.

Two finger salute Ende photo R_NOTNICE-1.jpg

Also came across this somewhere along the coast but can't remember the exact spot.

Oops photo R_OOPS-1.jpg

The road leaves the coast after Nangaroro and heads up into the mountains for vistas of terraced hill sides full of rice.

photo R_RICETERRACES.jpg

And then more views of another volcano.

Volcano on Flores photo R_VOLCANO.jpg

Arrived in Bajawa mid-afternoon, booked into an overpriced hotel Eidelweis and caught up on some lost sleep.