View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #164
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofasteddie View Post
I've followed your other reports and I'm always astounded by your photography. Those sunset pictures from Crazy Jug just turned it up a notch (if that's possible). I love the North Kaibab and I need to get back up there and also out onto the strip (next June or October). I don't think I've ever seen the strip as green as it was this year (as seen from just the highway around Colorado City and Apple Valley). It's amazing the roads were in a good of condition for your ride as they were with the rain almost daily for weeks.

Thanks,

Ed
Thanks Ed. The night at Crazy Jugs was the only time I had really good light for photos.
The super clear skies are not so great for photos, but the trade-off is not worrying and rain or mud.

Storms make it better.

Backcountry Permits

With the exception of Toroweap, backcountry camping within the national park requires a permit.
These aren't expensive, but only so many permits are issued for each large area. Even though no one else
is camping at the point you want to visit, the permits for the entire area will likely be sold out. Good luck.

One could just wait until sunset to erect anything resembling camping gear, then pack up shortly after first light.
The chances of seeing a ranger at these places is slim, especially at night.
Of course, I can neither confirm nor deny that I took any such actions.