View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Quadrajet
Lofter of Jive

Oddometer: 6
TL;DR Ė One second away from dying, didnít die, I need to stop being distracted by stupid stuff.

Normally Iím pretty good when it comes to potential SMIDSYís, whether on a bike or in a cage; however, this day was different.

A couple of months ago, right after I picked up my Buell XB12S, I was heading out of town on a local two lane highway. I was both fighting some nasty headwinds and still getting used to the...unique...shifting of my Buell. Well, as turned onto the road and was accelerating out of town, I shifted from first to neutral, which is frustrating, but it happens. After sorting out my shift and chastising myself for being dumb, which distracted me for a few seconds, I realized that a red Pontiac Grand Am was making a break for it across my lane. Just as I saw him, he saw me and at the last second he stomped on the brakes. I barely had a chance to even see his face as I blew past at 60mph, missing him by two feet. I have absolutely no doubt that if he hadn't stopped, I would have died. Either from the impact, or by being thrown into the oncoming traffic he was trying to beat.

I know that technically it's his fault, but I donít blame Grand Am guy because I know that he honestly didnít see me. As far as I'm concerned, Iím the one at fault. I should have been paying attention, watching him as I approached, getting ready for evasive action, doing the SMIDSY swerve.

After the event, I do remember looking up and seeing him sitting at the intersection as I drew closer; but, it just didnít register because I was still pissed/distracted by the mis-shift.

I went back and re-drove that road again, more slowly this time, and really paid attention. I noticed that there are 4 street signs (county road/intersection, speed limit, no passing) bunched up in one spot. I'm sure he glanced over at the exact time I and my headlight were behind those signs.

Anyway, my lesson for the day was exactly like life itself. To stop worrying about petty shit and concentrate on whatís important!
Quadrajet is offline   Reply With Quote