View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #50
beendog
Banned

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiaThunder View Post
ooh ooh.... This one is easy.

NEVER coast in a corner. You have a harder time turning in if you are coasting and you have less clearance if you are coasting mid corner.

Much safer to be on the gas.

My scarest moments at the track have been when I've hit a false netural or actuall netural and couldn't get on the gas in the turn. It's the only time I've dragged hard parts in a corner. (well, before I started racing the 250, but that another story)

I know you asked about traction, but if you don't have clearance. Traction doesn't really matter. It's also easier to lose the front coasting, need to get more weight transfered to the back tire, (larger contact patch) as soon as you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
You have more traction under power, the idea being to get weight onto the fat back tire (this is why sportbikes have a heavy front end bias) when coasting at speed you are loading the hell out of the front and risking a washout.

Fun fact, you actually have more traction with a slight bit of slip happening than you do without it.

Granted all of this primarily applies when you are nearing the limit of traction, and with today's tires that is moving pretty good. I've had my 675 on its front wheel with a 25-30 degree lean on it.
Thanks guys, wasn't aware the front had more traction with less weight on it, I would think it's the opposite(like the rear tire is more weight=more traction). Shows how counter-intuitive some of this stuff really is.
beendog is offline   Reply With Quote